Forget the Christmas shopping for an afternoon, join us instead for the last CASK! Social of 2013 and enjoy some great cask ales in convivial company!
The Social will take place on Saturday December 7th from 3:00 to 6:00pm at Brass Taps, 493 Danforth Ave, Toronto. There will be some great cask beers available, including County Durham XXX, Cameron’s Dog in a Boat Pale Ale, Black Oak Nutcracker Porter, Amsterdam Wee Heavy Scotch Ale and Great Lakes Half Nelson APA. Hope to see you there!
We have received sad news that Moyra Bligh, fellow Cask! member and all round craft beer enthusiast, has passed away. There is a gathering planned to raise a glass to Moyra on Friday Nov 22nd 7:00pm at The Rhino, 1249 Queen St W, Toronto. Many of us knew Moyra and will miss her. Our very own Robert Hughey has written a poem as a tribute:
We only knew you for a while
But in that time you engaged us
Shared a cask ale or two
Told a story or three
Helped us to laugh
And we all felt better for it.
Raising a glass in your honour!
It doesn’t seem enough
But what else can we do?
We remember you in our hearts
That bleed our emptiness in your absence.
In celebration of Toronto Beer Week, we have partnered with Great Lakes and Barley Days to bring you a rather special cask patio event: the GLB, CASK! Toronto and Friends Cask Social at the Ceili Cottage, 1301 Queen Street East, Toronto on Sunday September 15th starting at 3:00pm.
We are expecting 5 cask beers, and the current line up is:
- Great Lakes Canucklehead
- Great Lakes The Devil Made Me Double Dry Hop It
- Great Lakes Pumpkin Ale
- Barley Days Scrimshaw Oyster Stout
- Barley Days Loyalist Lager
Come join us on the sunny patio and in the cosy interior of the Ceili Cottage and celebrate Toronto Beer Week with some great cask beer.
OCB Week kicks off today, Sunday June 16th, and runs through to Sunday June 23rd with an impressive range of events also featuring cask ale. Here’s a rundown of the cask-related events that we are aware of:
- C’est What Summer Festival of Craft Breweries, June 21st to 22nd 5:00pm, 67 Front St E, Toronto. Last year C’est What featured 10 casks at their Fall festival. Let’s see how many they can muster for us this time
- Session Toronto, June 22nd 4:00pm, Wychwood Barns, 76 Wychwood Ave, Toronto. The festival will also feature a limited number of cask ales from select breweries
- Granite Cask Sunday, June 23rd 3:00pm, 245 Eglinton Ave East, Toronto. (As mentioned previously on our website). The Granite knows a thing or two about brewing cask conditioned ales. This BBQ and cask event should be a good ‘un
- Various Cask Nights, Cask Tastings and one-off cask features are taking place at venues across the province including An Sibin Pub, Bar Hop, Brass Taps, Bryden’s, Get Well, Stout Irish Pub, Sarah’s Cafe, Live Bait Ale House (Milton, ON), Kingston Brewing Company (Kingston, ON), Alice’s Village Cafe (Ottawa), Clocktower Brewpub (Ottawa) and Wellington Gastro Pub (Ottawa) to name a few!
Full details of all events can be found on the OCB Week website. Please check the website for updates. Hope to see you at one of these events. Cheers.
For the last day of OCB Week, Sunday June 23rd, the Granite Brewery will be hosting a Cask Sunday event from 3:00 to 6:00pm, complete with cask ales and a BBQ on their back patio. What a great way to close out this week-long celebration of local craft beer. Join us there.
The Granite Brewery and Restaurant is located at 245 Eglinton Avenue East, Toronto (SE corner of Eglinton and Mount Pleasant).
Our next CASK! Social will take place on Saturday May 11th 3:00 – 6:00pm at the Monarch Tavern, 12 Clinton Street, Toronto. A long-established Toronto watering hole, the Monarch has more recently started serving cask conditioned ale. CASK! members got a taste of it on the St. George’s Day cask pub crawl as the Monarch Tavern was our third stop, and the cask ale was in fine form. For the May 11th Social, the folks at the Monarch are promising a selection of cask ales for us to enjoy. We will keep you posted once the ale selection is finalized.
The Monarch Tavern is located one block south of College on Clinton, easily accessible via TTC on the 506 Carlton street car. Hope to see you there!
Bar Volo’s very popular Cask-Conditioned IPA Challenge (May 4th-5th) is now sold out. However, you may still get a chance to sample some great cask IPAs as the bar will be open to the public after the session on Saturday night, May 4th from 9pm and on Sunday evening, May 5th from 4pm. Any left over cask IPAs (plus a large variety of IPAs on tap) will be served. Bar Volo is located at 587 Yonge St, Toronto.